Saturday, March 19, 2016

Regionals Prize Kit

The FLGS where I will be running a regional Tournament for Armada got their prize kit in today.  I stopped by to take a look as I wanted to see if there was anything special in the rules that I needed to know about.  The only thing that stuck out was that the players who earned a Bye at a Store Championship don't receive any additional points beyond a normal Bye.  This is a significant switch and may cause some players to not use their Byes.


I think all of the prize support looks really good for this event.  I REALLY like the dice and may attend a Regional that's about a 2 hour drive away just to try for another set.

5 comments:

  1. Those dice look really nice, is that a translucent effect? Really nice prize support for the regionals. They just announced the date for South East England in the UK, so already blocking out that weekend!

    Do you think you will run Empire or Rebels for the big event? Appreciate the list in detail will be sensitive...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, the dice are translucent. I really like them. I'm actually the TO for the local regional event, so I won't be playing. There's another one about a 2 hour drive away a couple of week later that I may drive up to.

      If I do, I would likely play the 5-ship Rebel build that I won the Store Championship with. I've been tinkering around with some 5-ship Ackbar builds that are fun too, but in tournaments I try to play lists that I know well.

      Delete
  2. We were discussing the byes at our recent store championship. Most thought it would be with worth taking - unless you're really confident in that 10:0... a 8 pt win in the first round might get you a decent match up in rd 2 (Though you're potentially getting someone else who used a bye...).

    Though how many rounds are the regionals?

    It's not a simple call. =/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Regionals are 3 rounds with fewer than 28 players and 4 rounds with a 2 player final round if more than 28 players.

      Which is a big difference. For me, I wouldn't take the bye in a 3 round tournament. It would mean I only get to play 2 games. In a 4 round tournament, the bye seems more useful.

      Delete
    2. I have a store champ bye. Seriously, I am not sure to want to use it. I am taking all that time to play Armada (2 days away from the kids), not watch other people play.

      Plus I can't make nationals as I am on vacation. :-(

      Delete